Garbage, Recycling & Landfill
The RM of Portage and the City of Portage operate a joint regional landfill. It is located at SW 22-13-5 on PR #227 (50° 6'27.96"N, 98° 4'10.54"W
(Click on the co-ordinates for a map).
Please direct any questions or concerns to the Manager.
Thanks Robert Pohl,Manager
Portage la Prairie Regional Landfill
The Portage la Prairie Regional Landfill reminds you to take the time to ensure all of your waste makes it to the Landfill where it can be properly disposed of. The following reminders will help in accomplishing our goal of clean roadways:
1. All loads must be tarped and strapped so that nothing comes loose on your way to the Landfill.
2. Monitor your load at all times and stop and secure your load if necessary.
3. After unloading your waste, be sure all debris and nails are cleaned off and tail gates are closed before pulling away from the dumping area.
Thanks in advance for your cooperation in keeping Portage and area clean and a place we all can be proud of. The Landfill will be enforcing our $25.00 penalty for untarped loads so please take the time to secure your load properly.
For tipping fees and further information visit the City of Portage la Prairie regional landfill page found here
Rate Increases for 2017 can be found here
Westbourne Landfill Site - More information can be found here
Rural Residential Waste Collection
Several areas within the Rural Municipality of Portage la Prairie are eligible for curbside waste collection on a fee for service basis. Please contact the Municipal Office, 204-857-3821, to see if your area is eligible for curbside waste collection.
If your regularly scheduled waste collection day falls on a Holiday, please be advised that your waste collection will be missed that day. You will then be able to put out twice the weekly limit the following week.
Guidelines for Waste Collection
- Maximum 5 bag limit, household waste only.
- Waste must be out by 7:00 a.m. to guarantee pick up.
- Waste must be in an animal proof container.
- Waste must be placed at the end of your driveway, but far enough back from the roadway as to not impede the snow plow or maintainer. The waste collection driver will not go onto private property to collect the waste.
Please don't throw away anything that is flammable, hot ashes, or chemicals. These items have a tendency of
igniting the refuse load in a BFI rear loader. Ashes can be put out for regular garbage collection but must be
fully cooled and in tightly sealed plastic bags.