The CPPHO has issued orders to:
• limit public gatherings to less than 50 people including places of worship, family events, weddings and funerals;
• require retailers to ensure separation of two metres between patrons in their facility;
• limit hospitality premises such as restaurants or theatres to 50 people, or 50 per cent of capacity (whichever is less); and
• immediate closure of bingo and gaming centres, as well as wellness centres such as gyms and fitness centres.
At this time, the public health orders apply to public places, not workplaces. However, workplaces should still follow good social distancing practices as recommended by public health including:
• minimizing prolonged (more than 10 minutes), close (less than two meters/six feet) contact between other individuals in public;
• avoiding greetings that involve touching such as handshakes;
• disinfecting frequently used surfaces;
• staying home if you are sick;
• following public health advice related to self-monitoring and self-isolation if you have travelled or have been exposed to someone ill with the virus; and
• cancelling travel and avoiding crowded places and events, especially if you are at higher risk (e.g. seniors and those with underlying medical conditions).
In addition, effective now, public health officials are recommending that anyone who returns from travel, either international or domestic, and should self-isolate and self-monitor for symptoms for 14 days following their return.
Provincial public health officials are aware that there are people that are not following all of the orders and recommendations given them and ask that local authorities reinforce the critical role that people, organizations, and businesses play in reducing the risk of this virus spreading rapidly using these measures. In addition, public health officials are asking municipalities to encourage their residents to become familiar with the public health orders in place and to follow appropriate social distancing and social isolation when needed. People should visit: www.manitoba.ca/covid19 for more information.
Health Protection Unit